A first in the Telugu speaking states of Andhra Pradesh and Telangana, Vizag is gearing up to host Ultribe-Paderu, an ultra marathon – trail running activity on 12 December, 2021. This event is being organised by the Visakha Trail Running Association (VTRA), to foster the spirit of trail running in both the Telugu states.
For the unversed, trail running is a sports activity that combines running and hiking where there are steep gradients and unpaved surfaces. With the Ultribe-Paderu runners, it will predominantly be an outdoor movement, seeking fresh air and covering trails, mountain peaks, coffee estates and streams.
In a chat with Yo! Vizag, Founder and President of VTRA, Yogesh Rao, shares that it was the Vagamon race that got him and Amit together. Since then the two looked for ways to bring the trail running culture to Vizag. Speaking on the race, Yogesh shares “It’s not just an ordinary run. Anyone who completes the 50 km race gets 2 ITRA points and qualifies for the UTMB World Series, which is internationally conducted in France.” Organising the race, the team of 6-8 had various practice runs. “We did four practice races from Simhachalam to Hanumanthuvaka and back in three and a half hours, three practice races from Dibbapalem to Yerrada and back, in four and half hours, and one race from Sheelanagar to Meghadri Gedda Reservoir in around two and a half hours. In this journey, we explored, and discovered, new areas and spaces. Anyone who would like to explore these areas can join us on 12 December, 2021.”
The Ultribe-Paderu race will be conducted at Paderu, a sleepy town located at a height of approximately 900 meters in the district of Visakhapatnam. Blessed with valleys, picturesque hills and waterfalls, Paderu is a Mandal headquartered and situated at a distance of 100 km north-west of Visakhapatnam in the serene Eastern Ghats.
The Ultribe-Paderu Run – Vizag
- The Paderu Run will be held in three categories:
- 10 kilometres (trail debut)
- 25 kilometres (hill challenge)
- 50 kilometres (flagship event)
- COVID-19 vaccination is mandatory for participation (two doses). Participation is allowed only after the submission of a soft copy of the vaccination certificate.
- Aid stations/hydration points will be available at earmarked points to support runners all along the route. These points will have basic hydration essentials like water, electrolytes, fruits and other eatables like peanut bars and chocolates.
- Registration fee:
- 10 kilometres (trail debut): Rs. 1,250/- per head
- 25 kilometres (hill challenge): Rs. 1,750/- per head
- 50 kilometres (flagship event): Rs. 2,250/- per head
CREDIT: YO VIZAG